Saturday 17 January 2015

Devilishly Destructive Delights Talks: A Dogs Life

So I was sat down on the sofa on what is a typical boring Saturday afternoon when I suddenly looked over at Murphy, fast asleep next to me and I was immediately filled with love, pride and an overwhelming sense of happiness. These emotions ultimately caused me to write this post.

I look at this dog and am in awe at how much happiness, laughter and joy he can bring to our very small family and how little he asks in return. So long as he is given some biscuits, a bed and a chin scratch every now and again he is happy. 



Before he came into our home, we were of course content but our lives were certainly short of a third musketeer. I think that Murphy has impacted my life the most simply because I am so often on my own in the house. Richard has rugby training twice a week, a game every Saturday and is at the gym or a mates house at least once a week. That's four if not five days that I'm guaranteed to be on my own, such is life. I've never felt unsafe in either of our homes but having a companion like Murphy to talk to, cuddle up with and ultimately look after makes those nights in a little less lonely. Even as I write this and pause for thought, I look over at him on the sofa and he raises his weary head and gives me a look as if to say "what's wrong Mummy?" 

In the year and two months since we took him home from the shelter we have experienced a lot and he has been with us every step of the way. One house move, numerous trips to the vets, one holiday, lots of shrill drives in the car and lots and lots of licks.

Although this post is about the happiness a pet, particularly a dog, can bring in no way do I think that everyone should go out and get one. Pets require a great deal of time, money and care and we are very fortunate that Murphy is at that age when he is content to be at home while we are at work, in need of short walks and fully house trained. We are also fortunate given his previous circumstances that he has taken so well to us, our home and of course all of the family and friends we have. There may be the odd day when he decides to kick all of the cushions off the sofa, or whine early in the morning or decide to nibble the duvet but I wouldn't change him for the world and I like to think he wouldn't want anyone else to cuddle up with at the end of a long days snoozing.


No comments:

Post a Comment