Sunday 22 June 2014

Self Reflection

So these past four days have been a struggle to say the least. My partner in crime, the apple of my eye if you will, Richard has been away in Budapest on a stag do getting drunk, watching football and shooting things whilst I have been holding the fort back in boring Bedfordshire. 

For me this is the first time we have truly been apart since living together for almost a year and really the only time he has been away in our entire relationship (we live a thrilling life, we really do). 

At times like this when ones brain is the only source of company in those lonely nights where sleep evades you, it is easy to begin to self reflect on your time with your significant other. We by no means take each other for granted, particularly now that we live together. Prior to this we lived miles apart, spent a fortune seeing each other (and in Richard's case cycled along dangerous roads to visit me) and at most would see each other twice a week. I feel as though this separation made our relationship that much stronger and we really valued the time we had together. To this day we have never once argued with each other nor got sick of the other person being around. In a way I am grateful we had that distance between us because otherwise we could have ended up like any other couple who see each other too often and grow tired of one another. Who knows how things could have turned out if I had simply lived down the road from him. Would we have even met? Life is a strange thing.


Richard's absence has certainly made me realise just how much we rely upon each other, even in just our normal routines such as how he sings in the shower and how he feeds Murphy while I am still getting ready and even things like the cups of tea he surprises me with. His absence is not only apparent from the empty house but also in my own personality. The first morning without him I could feel an emptiness within me and in many ways that set me up to have a bad day. It makes you realise just how significant they are in who you are as an individual. To me Richard is my rock. When I have a bad day, he listens and knows just what to do and say. He knows how to make me laugh and smile, not to mention how to calm me down when I panic about things such as money and bills. 


Today my parents celebrate their 29th wedding anniversary and I think that really does reinforce how I feel about not taking one another for granted and that sacrifices, hard graft and perseverance really do lead to great things. If we can be half the couple they are, then I will know we have done well.


I guess this post is all about reflecting on what you have and never taking it for granted because it can be taken away in an instant, even if it is just to Hungary to get drunk for a lad's getaway...

No comments:

Post a Comment