Tuesday 10 June 2014

A Devilishly Delightful Treat: Mocha Cake

Since starting this blog I realise I haven't really made a devilishly delightful treat, which really was what the blog was created for. It was primarily going to be based around my love of food and my destructive tendencies in the kitchen (hence the name). 

So here to kick things off is my latest baking experiment...


Mocha Cake 
with a Mocha Buttercream Filling

This was a new challenge for me and not a cake that I have made before. I make a mean Coffee and Walnut cake which goes down an absolute treat with Richard, not to mention all of his mates. Moving on from the success of this cake I have made a Cappuccino Cake complete with White Chocolate icing and cocoa dusting. Continuing with the hot drink theme I stumbled across a recipe for Mocha Cake which Richard immediately was keen to sample. 

I soon put on my apron and prepared the kitchen for the mess that would soon appear. I am never one to follow a recipe so soon enough the recipe I spotted online was adapted and the outcome was delicious!

Ingredients:
  • 6oz butter
  • 6oz sugar
  • 5 oz plain flour
  • 1 oz cocoa powder
  • 1 tbsp instant coffee mixed with 1 tbsp water
  • 3 eggs
  • A splash of milk
Firstly I beat the butter and sugar together until light and added the eggs along with the flour and cocoa powder. I combined these together and added the mixture of coffee into the cake mix, adding milk to loosen the mixture and prevent it being heavy. I then placed the mixture in tins lined with tin foil and put them in the oven at 180 degrees for twenty minutes.

Whilst allowing them to cool I made the Mocha Buttercream filling...

Ingredients:
  • 2 oz butter
  • 1 tsp instant coffee mixed with 1 tsp water
  • 1 tbsp cocoa powder
  • 2 oz icing sugar
I placed the butter, coffee mixture and cocoa powder in a bowl and combined together carefully. I then added in the icing sugar and mixed until fully combined. Once my cakes were cool I spread the filling over both cakes and set them on one another before placing in the fridge to allow the centre to set.

The Verdict?

The cake itself is utterly delicious. Light, fluffy and full of flavour which is then offset by the slightly bitter filling. All in all a cake that is simple to make and would definitely 'wooh' your friends.

2 comments:

  1. Mmmmmmmmm mocha cake is one of my faves! I like a really strong coffee flavour though so I would probably add more coffee to the icing :P
    Mary Berry has a lush recipe for a mocha cake. My sister made it for my birthday, so yummy!
    Naomi xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I must admit I love coffee too but this was a great flavour and I was trying not to blow Richard's head off as he isn't a fan. It was a delicious cake though it must be said. Oooh I keep seeing Mary Berry's books popping up and I must admit I don't actually know what her recipes are like, are they any good? xx

      Delete