Thursday 8 May 2014

A Taste of India

I love food. All food. I love cooking it, reading about it and most importantly, eating it. I particularly love Indian food as do my family. I think what I miss most about moving out are the curry feasts we would have at my parents, that and money.

I miss having money. When Richard and I used to meet up, nine times out of ten we would end up at our local carvery and have a feast. We loved eating out and treating ourselves. Now we live together we don't tend to think about going out to eat other than the odd takeaway or fast food treat.

So with this in mind when my sister suggested we go out for a curry I couldn't say yes quick enough. I didn't actually know any Indian restaurants local to me so we played it safe and took the trip to my old local in the picturesque town of Ampthill to a little place called Arena. It was only when I arrived (like an excited child) that I realised I hadn't set foot in this restaurant for over two years when we had a meal here for my sister's birthday. Feeling nostalgic we entered the tiny building concealed next to other far more extravagant buildings such as Fratellis and the Dew Drop Inn. Once inside you enter you are greeted by an impressively oversized ornate mirror which acts as selfie central and a stunning chandelier. Kayleigh and I tried our best to take a selfie but I overestimated my camera and ignored my sisters concerns of being 'too far away' only for this to happen...


Finally deciding to listen to my much wiser sibling we got a proper 'selfie' shot with the fancy mirror.

Vanity aside we made it down the stairs and into the beautifully decorated restaurant. We were the first ones there and little did we know we would be the only ones there for the night. We were given a table for two by a lovely young waiter and presented with menus immediately as well as provided with a jug of ice cold water which kept us going all night long. 


We perused the menu although I already had mentally decided what I would order long before the night. Arena make the most amazing Passanda dish and I have not been able to find a dish like this at any other restaurant so it was a no brainer for me.


Our orders were made and we were given complimentary poppadoms with a selection of sauces all varying in flavour, texture and appearance.


It seemed no time at all before our meals arrived and we were all set to tuck in. The smells were incredible and although the portions had changed since my last visit they were definitely more appropriate and stopped any unnecessary wastage.


I like to think we did well with our meals but judging by how much we had left I would think we rather let the team down. But what with the meat, rice and Naan it was rather a filling meal to say the least. Luckily the waiter kindly said we could take it with us and boxed it up perfectly for us. We were then given complimentary sweets while we waited for the bill, chocolates with the receipt and an offer of free drinks from the owner. All very lovely and part of the excellent service you can expect from this business. 


Sadly we were the only ones in Arena for the night which was great because it meant no annoying people at neighbouring tables, but equally it was sad because it seems such a shame that a place as beautiful as this, serving such delicious and reasonably priced food should go ignored. Understandably very few people consider a Wednesday evening a curry night and many prefer to use their takeaway service but even still it is a place I will recommend no end and visit time and time again.

In the meantime I will just have to try and recreate these dishes at home...



To find out more about Arena Curry house or to visit please see more details here.

No comments:

Post a Comment